Bunty goes to the Peak District

I have been on a very big adventure, I have been to a place called the Peak District and I stayed in a little house called a caravan. This was the first time I had ever stayed in a caravan or away from home at night. I got a little bit scared the first night as I could hear strange noises outside, it turned out to be little animals playing and looking for their tea, silly me. I got very very scared on the second night as the wind was blowing that hard the caravan was moving!

It was quite late by the time I got there on Friday night so I went straight to bed so that I would have lots of energy for my first day of hopping.

 in the woods

I in the woods

The first hop was a circular hop from Roaches gate to Docksey Pool and the south end of the Roaches. First of all I had to hop up a very steep slope, then climb up through some woods and then up these steps I was very tired by the time I got to the top and had to sit on a rock.
I didn't think I could do it, but I did.

I didn't think I could do it, but I did.

After my little rest it was more climbing up and up, but the path wasn’t really a path. It was all very big stones and rocks and lots of mud, I saw some people hanging off the rocks and was about to shout for help when a big dog told me not to worry. The people were doing something called mountain climbing, and they wanted to do it! It looked a bit scary to be, but the big dog told me that these people found it fun, I am not sure that I would like it.
After a lot of hopping I got to the top, the wind was very strong and was making the water in the pool all ripply it looked very pretty. There is a legend (a legend is a story but no ones if it’s true or not), that the pool is bottomless and the water always stays the same no matter how hot it gets. Then I had to get back down, which is not as easy as it sounds. The path down was very step and stony and muddy and very slippery. But I got to the bottom with out falling over and had a little sit on a bench, which had a very funny poem on it.

I wasn’t tried so I decided to go on another hop this time a circular hop from Roaches gate to Dains Mill and Hen Cloud. The first part of this hop was over fields and through a farm, I said ‘hi’ to the hens and told them I was on an adventure, they told me it looked like rain, I couldn’t see any clouds so I carried on, down the farm track and into another field where there were ducks and a pig, who was happily playing in a big puddle of mud, he was very mucky. The trail ran along side a stream and the ground was very muddy, but I wanted to see the mill and this was the only path and after a lot of hopping and big jumping over muddy puddles I got to the mill, and was very disappointed, the water wheel wasn’t working. Then it was another big climb up a steep track and on to a nice level wooded track and a long hop back to the Roaches. Now my guild book said I should climb up Hen Cloud, but it had started to rain, so I went to the tearoom instead for a nice cup of hot tea.



Then I went for a hop around part of Rudyard lake which is very big, it had boats and ducks and a little steam train, I thought it would be nice to have a ride on it, but I had missed the last one. By now I was a tired bunny so I went back to the caravan for my carrot and bed.

On Sunday I had wanted to hop to Lud church and then on to Hanging rock, so I set off early because the weatherman had said the weather would be horrible after dinner. First I had to hop down a big slope that was all rocks and mud, into the wood below, then through the woods, it was very muddy. I think it must be better to hop in the peaks in the summer time. After about an hour I came to Lud church, it’s not a real church, it’s a cleft.
I had to hop down a lot of steps to get down into it and then hop up a lot more to get out, it was lovely and quiet; all you could hear was the dripping of the water that was dripping off the mosses. By the time I had hopped out of Luds church the sky had gone very dark and it was only 10 past 10. I didn’t think it would be a good idea to go on to hanging rock, as daddy had told me to watch the weather in the peaks because it can change very quickly. I got very scared coming over Back Forest Ridge because by now the wind was very strong and the snow was coming really heavy, I thought I would never get across the ridge, but then the trail started to drop down and the wind and snow wasn’t as bad. I was really tired and my chest hurt from the cold wind, so I went back to the caravan to get dry and warm and count my lucky carrots.

Now I am planning my next adventure

If you want to see more photo’s of my trip they are in my photos on the side bar.

Keep Hopping

Peak district info luds church

2 Responses so far »

  1. 1

    Rach said,


    sounds like you always have such a lovely time. You are becoming very well travelled 🙂 xx

  2. 2

    buntybunny said,

    hello Rach,

    I love my adventures, but I still have lots of places to see and lots of things to do. Did you look at my lovely photos? you can read the silly poen on the seat if you click on it.

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Leave me your words

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: